Experienced Barrow County Adoption Lawyers
Adoption Lawyers Helping Families Grow near Winder, Georgia
Giving a child a family and home when they do not currently have one is a beautiful thing. In some cases, a child may be an orphan, while in others, they may have a father or mother absent from their life.
Unfortunately, adoption is often not as easy or straightforward as it should be. When capable adults are looking to qualify for adoption in either of the above scenarios, they will find there are a host of legal complexities they must navigate. At the Mitchell & Crunk Law Firm, our adoption lawyers in GA, are committed to helping families grow and write new chapters. Our adoption lawyers in Barrow County can assist you throughout the adoption process and help you overcome the obstacles you may encounter.
If you are interested in adopting a child, do not wait to seek legal guidance. Contact us online or call (678) 701-6252 to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our experienced adoption attorneys in Barrow County, GA.
There are a wide variety of steps, requirements, and potential issues associated with the laws governing Georgia adoptions. A single complication can greatly prolong the process or prevent the adoption from taking place.
Adoption Requirements in Georgia
First and foremost, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible to adopt a child in Georgia:
- You must be at least 25 years old or married and living with your spouse
- You must be at least 10 years older than the child you are hoping to adopt
- You must be physically, mentally, and financially capable of caring for the child
There are other complexities, consequences, and applicable laws you will need to think about. Adding a member to your family is no small feat, and Georgia tightly regulates adoptions in even the simplest of situations.
When looking to adopt, you will need to consider:
- What type of adoption you wish to choose
- How adoption will impact your taxes
- How you will navigate mandatory court procedures
- Whether a same-sex couple is involved in the adoption
- Whether stepparents are involved in the adoption
- Whether the child’s biological parents abandoned them
Knowing how to respond to the above questions and situations requires a working knowledge of family law, and it is therefore not wise to attempt an adoption alone. Retaining legal representation throughout the process can help you avoid common mistakes, expedite your adoption, and ensure your rights – and the rights of your children – are completely protected.
What are Adult Adoptions in Georgia?
Adult adoption is the legal process of an adult (18 years or older) being adopted by another adult. In Georgia, adult adoptions are legally binding agreements that involve relinquishing rights and responsibilities for those involved.
- The person seeking to be adopted, known as the adoptee, must obtain a notarized affidavit of identity and consent from the court in order for the petition to be filed with the court.
- Additionally, consent from any living birth parents must also be obtained before this can take place.
- Once all required information has been obtained, the adoptive parent will file a petition with the court which will then create an order granting permission for the adoption after it has reviewed all relevant documents.
- Afterward, both parties may submit a form to update their driver’s license or state ID card with the new name change resulting from the adoption.
Reasons for Adult Adoption
- Adult adoptions are most commonly used in situations when one party wishes to honor someone who acted as a parental figure during their life or when two people wish to establish family ties without having to go through a traditional parenting process.
- Adult adoptions allow individuals to recognize relationships in a way that is permanent and legally binding while establishing access to certain government benefits such as inheritance rights and health insurance coverage under certain circumstances.
If you have any questions, contact our GA adoption lawyers.
Our Adoption Attorneys in Barrow County Can Help Through the Process
At the Mitchell & Crunk Law Firm, our goal is to facilitate a successful start to your new relationship. Our team can assist you in complying with all adoption requirements and represent you in all necessary court appearances and hearings. We will be by your side every step of the way, from finding the child you wish to adopt to handling all court paperwork.
For those new to adoption, we can help you decide which type of adoption best suits your needs and desires. We are extensively familiar with Georgian laws surrounding various types of adoptions and can offer you the advocacy you need to succeed.
Our Barrow County, GA adoption attorneys know how to approach:
- Adoptions facilitated by agencies
- Private adoptions
- International adoptions
- Stepparent adoptions
- Same-sex couple adoptions
- Relative adoptions
- Adult adoptions
After deciding which type of adoption you wish to pursue, we will assist with all required paperwork and represent you in court should your case need to be presented before a judge. Mandatory court appearances can be common with many stepparent adoptions and other adoptions with extenuating circumstances. Our GA adoption lawyers' skill and deep knowledge of adoption law equip us to handle the twists and turns that can appear throughout the process.
As prospective adopting parents, you have your work cut out you. Make adoption easier by hiring a diligent and experienced legal team to support you. Whether you are looking to explore initial adoption options or you have questions about how adoption works in Georgia, we encourage you to get in touch. Our adoption lawyers serving Barrow County are ready to answer your questions and provide the legal support you need to achieve your goals.
- Related: Our Guide to Adoption in Georgia
If you have found our website, chances are you and your family are going through a difficult moment. Our team welcomes the opportunity to assist you and is determined to make a positive difference in your life. When you come to us for help, our Barrow property division lawyers will listen to your concerns, identify the legal issues involved in your case, explain the law to you, and provide the effective legal counsel you need to succeed. Our track record speaks for itself, and we encourage you to review our testimonials to learn more about what our clients think of our family law services.
“Couldn't have been happier!”
“Mitchell and Crunk was very diligent throughout my whole process. And I couldn't have asked for a better outcome in my case.”
“He genuinely cared about my case first and myself as a client. He was so thorough with the case and actually listened to me and cared. He is also very descriptive and helps you really understand your case with such an honest tone.”
“I met Matthew Crunk and he was just amazing. He listened to me, was very understanding of my situation and very thorough on explaining everything to me.”
“The environment was welcoming and the staff was very polite. Misty was more than happy to help me and provide me with answers to all of my questions during our consultation.”